Thursday, June 16, 2011

Gina Is Bored...And A Pinto?

As I headed out to ride yesterday, I was certain G would enjoy a very pleasant morning of conditioning work. After all, we weren't going to be in the arena, I wasn't going to do anything to mess with her mind (e.g. counter cantering), and she's always seemed to enjoy cruising around at a moderate speed. 

Well, that was last week. This week, she was apparently bored to death with trotting, cantering, and hand galloping in a big loop next to the back barn. Sure, I incorporated circles and serpentines and lead changes. But  big mare was totally done with this. I could just hear her thinking, Serpentines? Really? Like I don't know how to do this. So much for a fun day! My coworkers commented to me about how nice she looked, so at least there's that.

I came home after my ride and promptly took a very cool shower (we're in the midst of a permanent heat wave) and readied myself for the Pinto World Championships. They hold a leadline class for challenged riders- which I think is just fantastic- and, of course, we took a dozen students. It was a great, great experience. I can't say enough good things about the gorgeous horses our students rode or the pleasant horse handlers leading those mounts. The crowd cheered for each and every rider. The students rode away with huge belt buckles, a poster, a t-shirt, a DVD of their ride, and a hat. It was amazing, and every one of those riders was more excited than I'd ever seen them before. Super. 

Though all of the horses I saw last night were very Quarter Horse-y stock types, I found out a couple of weeks ago that nearly any registered horse can be registered as breeding stock Pinto. Seriously. Look. Gina, in fact, is doubly qualified, thanks to her registration with both Jockey Club and Oldenburg. (Thought: register G with every possible organization, then advertise her as "OCTUPLE REGISTERED!!!" Yes, excellent plan!!) So while Miss G's white markings are limited to those two hind socks, I could register her as a Pinto, compete at Pinto shows, and win belt buckles all over the place.

Lest you think all Pintos are the stock types seen last night, Pinto has actually organized their horses into four categories: hunter, stock, gaited, and pleasure. That means if I competed with G in the hunter-type division, she would be up against other Thoroughbred/Warmblood-looking horses. I don't know if all Pinto shows are as diverse as the World Championships (I would guess not, but I don't know.), but they have things like dressage classes and discipline rail (for when we get the counter canter mastered). No, really.

So perhaps next year, when G and I have mastered First Level and jumping quietly and counter cantering, I'll register her as a breeding stock Pinto and win myself a gigantic belt buckle at the World Championships. Hey, you never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment