Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Ponies have arrived!

This weekend was pony weekend (but isn't every weekend?). On Saturday, Richal, Audrey, and I headed to Tulsa to pick up Moe and Gina. After admiring my ingenious tuna can bridle hangers, they helped me load my meager possessions into the trailer. We caught the horses and both of them loaded into the trailer like total pros. Neither horse has ever been bad about trailering, but I am always grateful when they hop right on without any fuss.

They unloaded quietly and were quickly led to their new homes: two stalls with dry lots off the back in the breezy shedrow. They aren't next to one another- between them is a mare and her cute Paint/Fresian foal. Both horses spent some time pacing and whinnying; Moe was also terrified of the foal. (He's terrified of all tiny equines.) They settled down after a little while and were munching hay when I left.

"GINA OMGZ WHERE GINA, NEED SOMEONE
TO BITE ME ON THE BUTT"
On Sunday, I went out to see how they were coping; both horses were turned out in a big field. I rode Gina in the small indoor, just to see how she'd do. 

"This looks a lot like work..."
Gina was good; she didn't spend a whole lot of time looking around or calling for Moe. She put in some really excellent trot work, let me open the gate to the outdoor from her back, and walked around the outdoor arena sanely. (It was a nice change from Fred, let me tell you.) I gave her a good scrubbing after our ride, which she desperately needed. She was grimy with sweat and dirt and general grit. She pulled back once and broke her lead rope (sigh), but I just grabbed the spare in my tack trunk and proceeded as usual.

Monday I rode Moe, who was delightful as always. The minis, Peanut and Charlie, were hanging around in an aisle close to one corner of the arena. Moe was completely terrified of them and spent a few minutes standing completely still, staring at them. He refused to go very deep into the corner (lest a mini attack) and spent the entire ride in the indoor giving the minis some serious side-eye. For their part, the minis ignored him. I took him out into the newly mowed hay meadow and we cantered for a bit; it felt good to have space to run. It also felt good to just ride my favorite old horse. I gave Moe a bath after our ride and turned him out, where he thoughtfully rolled in the grass.

"Did you need us for something?"
I also rode Freddie on Saturday and Monday. Dear old Fred has pulled her right front shoe again, so we are continuing the ever-exciting walking routine. I rode her in a borrowed dressage saddle on Saturday, which made her feel super downhill. She was good, though, and I felt like I was using my seat and legs better, so we'll keep it in our rotation. On Monday, I dug out my breastplate to see if it fits her; it does, and she looks extra legit in it. 

The best at looking like a majestic creature.

Fred was good. She's starting to respond to halt requests more readily and seems to be beginning to understand bending. If only we could keep her shoes on!

One last note: Carson has found a new home! A couple of weeks ago, I accompanied Audrey and Richal to a nice hunter barn in Tulsa who was interested in trying him for their lesson program. They thought he was too forward (again, LOLZ) but thought he'd be a good fit for one of their students. He stayed there on trial, and his new owner recently commented on one of my posts about him that she'd just bought him. I wish her the very best with Carson (who is now renamed Moose); he was one of my favorite horses and I won't say I didn't shed a few tears when we dropped him off at that barn. 

Back to the work grind today; I hope y'all had a great Labor Day weekend!

4 comments:

emma said...

everyone is settling in nicely - good news! also congrats on finding a new home for Carson/Moose.

Anonymous said...

Moe is not alone in thinking that the minis are terrifying.

Aoife said...

We totes need pictures of that paintxfriesian foal pretty please!

Unknown said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWTMqlmArc&feature=youtu.be
There's a link to my lesson with Carson/Moose today, I thought you might want to check up on him, I know I would if I used to ride him(: I can see why you liked him so much, he's a really cool horse!

Post a Comment